You can claim a refund for up two years from the date of contribution.

To claim a refund, prepare:

  • Form 14

  • An explanation letter, containing details of the mistake (example: incorrectly claimed travel allowance)

  • Copy of IC

  • Copy of the Form A (with the incorrect contribution) or your company's EPF monthly statement (from the month the incorrect contribution was made).

Submit the documents to any EPF counter.


  • Log in to i-Akaun

  • Fill out Form A stating the month for which you want to make to the adjustment payment.

  • Print out the Form A and submit it along with payment at an EPF counter - unlike monthly payments, adjustment payments cannot be made at banks.